These are memorial articles about the pets we've lost. It's already too long, and I hope to not have to add to it for a VERY long time.


Gone Too Soon

Back in February when I wrote out the memorial piece for Storm, I never dreamed that before the year was out, I'd be writing another memorial for one of his successors, and it is with a heavy heart that I must now bid goodbye to Gruffy, one of our two new cats.

Poor Gruffy never really stood a chance, it seems. Though he tested negative for it back at the shelter, he had FeLV - the feline leukemia virus. It is the second leading cause of cat deaths, and it has taken a sweet, gentle kitty we were very fond of out of this world at the tender age of four. A vaccine exists. We didn't know this when we got Gruffy, but we do now. If you get a shelter cat, make sure they're vaccinated for FeLV. Because it's heartbreaking to find a sweet one like Gruffy and lose them so soon.

But enough of my soapbox. Let me tell you about Gruffy.

We acquired Gruffy and another cat we named Oliver shortly after Storm's death. A local shelter had a bunch of long-haired cats and having had such great luck with Storm, we had our heart set on another long-haired cat. At the shelter, Gruffy caught my eye immediately and kind of hung around near me while my wife looked at other cats. She had her heart set on the other one, but he wasn't at the shelter, so we made an appointment to meet Oliver. We got there during off hours and met the director in the shelter's kitchen. To my delight, Gruffy was tucked into a little padded basket underneath a shelving unit. He had a kind of ridiculous look to him - this big, tanky ball of gray fluff stuffed into this little basket. At some point during the introduction to Oliver, he wandered out into the kitchen, and stood up under one of the chairs, then realized there were crossbars between the legs and gave me kind of an "oh no, I am stuck!" kind of look. I gently started to move the chair and he realized he wasn't as trapped as he thought he was and wandered back under the table.

At that point, I reached my arms out in his direction and flexed my fingers and he walked over, climbed up onto my lap and nose-bumped me. That was pretty heartwarming all on its own, but I was also emotionally raw from the loss of Storm and my heart just melted. We decided to get both cats.

Naming him didn't take long - because he was so fluffy and gray and rugged-looking, he brought to mind an old British sea captain. Nicki suggested "Admiral Gruffington," which we shortened to "Gruffy." It stuck immediately. I doubt we'll ever be able to come up with a better cat name than "Gruffy," either.

Nicki went to pick them up a couple of days later and Oliver made a racket the whole way home. Gruffy rode calmly in silence. Once they got back, Oliver ran off to explore, but Gruffy located the sofa, hopped up, and settled into the cushion almost immediately. He knew he was home.
And so began a long love affair with cushions for Gruffy. He spent his first month or so pretty sick, the poor thing. The shelter had somehow missed not only the FeLV that he ultimately passed from, but tapeworms as well, and he also had a nasty upper respiratory infection. He spent a lot of time lounging on a cushion in the hallway recuperating from his illnesses. But even when he was healthy, he loved lounging on cushions and pillows. We figured he'd come from an environment where nothing was soft, and soft was a very welcome change for him.

Unfortunately, Oliver ultimately didn't work out. He bullied Gruffy, ran away from us when we tried to pet him, and generally caused problems. He was cute, but he was also a jerk. We took him back to the shelter but kept Gruffy.

However, as an only cat, Gruffy blossomed almost immediately. We got to hear his voice, which was so cute. I referred to him as having a "harmonica voice" because his squeak had a tiny hint of distortion to it, almost like it was two different notes played at the same time. He became more affectionate with us, rubbing on our legs occasionally and squeaking for playtime in the evening. His favorite toy was a colored feather on the end of a piece of yarn, which my wife made for him.

His method of play definitely spoke to his time outside as a homeless kitty early in life. He'd study the feather, biding his time and then POW! he'd pin it with a paw or jump on it explosively. For the few months when he was the healthiest, he was never as energetic as Storm or Sterling, but we got him to chase the feather up and down the hallway, chase a laser pointer, ambush toys around corners and the lot. He was amazingly fast for such a stocky, blocky cat and the preparatory butt wiggles before pouncing were adorable.

Another cute and somewhat astonishing thing was how much his appearance transformed from winter to spring. He went from being this massive mound of gray fluff to a fairly average looking gray tabby in terms of fur length, losing his fluffy cheeks, ruff and much of his shaggy winter coat entirely. The only part of his body that stayed fluffy and betrayed his identity as a long haired cat was his fluffy tail which resembled a fan. He stayed very soft and silky, and when fall came, the fluff came back in a big way.

He never was much of a cuddler and after the first month or so, we really didn't have much luck getting him onto our laps for any length of time, but he indicated his affection in other ways. He loved to nose rub you - you could lean down close and he would give you really intense nose bumps, rubbing his face on your face. And every once in a while, you could pick him up and put him over your shoulder and he would snuggle into you very intensely before getting overstimulated and needing to be set back down.

We had to walk that line of overstimulation with him a bit, but he was worth it. A gloriously-silky, fluffy, magnificent thing, he was so luxurious to pet. He also never stopping being a little awkward and ridiculous. A big, barrel-chested tank of a cat, he had a cute thing he'd do occasionally where he'd walk up close to something that interested him, sit down, lean back slightly and look at it wide-eyed like "WOT?" This habit earned him the nickname "the Wotbeast." In fact, the word "wot" became a term of endearment with him. Both his name and his nicknames were fun to say, and it often brightened my morning just to say "goodbye Gruffy," or "goodbye Wotbeast," as I gave him my customary farewell scritch as I headed out the door.

Despite his propensity for overstimulation, he was extremely calm. Early in our time with him, we had a violent storm come though. Our previous cat would have hidden. Gruffy just looked at the hail hammering on the window with his "WOT?" look for a moment and went back to snoozing on his cushion. Another time, we were under a tornado warning, so we put him in a carrier and took him downstairs to our landlord's place (they live in the lower portion of the house we rent the upper floor of) and he looked a little lonely, but didn't make any noise or show any signs of distress.

And he had a lot of kindness in his little kitty heart. When it became apparent that he wasn't going to be a lap cat, we went through a couple of others looking for another second cat. Gruffy was very welcoming and sweet towards the others - when we brought Sterling (our other cat) home in a carrier, Gruffy wanted to investigate, but his body language was very much "are you okay in there?" When we let Sterling out, the nervousness and hissing that always comes with introducing a new cat was very brief. Gruffy wanted a friend. That sweet demeanor earned him another nickname: "Sweet ol' Gruffins."

He was never any trouble at all - he was very well-behaved, and the worst thing he ever did was also one of the funniest and most awesome things he ever did. I once caught him lying on his back, dragging himself along upside down by pulling at the fabric on the front of the sofa with his claws. It was ingenious, and it was hilarious, and I felt a little twinge of regret when we stopped him for the sake of the sofa's fabric because he was obviously having so much fun. We saw that same intelligence once when he squeaked to get our attention, made eye contact and then gently touched his feather toy with his paw. 

The anemia from his FeLV progressively made him more sluggish, but right up until his last week or so of life, he was still good for some nose bumps.

Sadly, his death was not as peaceful as we'd hoped; both we and the vet hoped and expected he'd just go to sleep one night and never wake up. That proved to be too optimistic. He went into severe distress suddenly and we made a frantic call to the vet, who was kind enough to make a house call to put him down.

The things that are making Gruffy's loss especially hard are twofold. On the one hand, he was was such a sweet, gentle, funny cat that losing him was going to be hard whenever he went. On the other, there's a palpable feeling of injustice to it. Storm was an old kitty when he died - a little younger than we'd have liked, still, but an old kitty. It was comparable to losing a person at 75 or 80 to cancer. Gruffy was only four. It was like losing a person at 25 to cancer. A good, kind, person. He never did anything wrong, and not only did he die young, he didn't even get to slip away quietly on a cushion. My frustration at his passing is well-captured in a Calvin and Hobbes comic which you can read here.

There is some solace to be found in the knowledge that if the shelter had found his FeLV, we never would have met him at all, and the months of quiet, safety, love and peace we were able to give him would have also been taken away when he was euthanized to keep his illness from spreading. There's also some in knowing that he didn't pass it to our other, now-vaccinated cat. It's not nearly as much solace as I'd like, but it will have to do.

In the meantime, if cats get an afterlife, I hope Gruffy's is full of big, soft cushions, colorful feathers to chase, quiet, nose bumps, and peace.

Goodbye, Gruffy.



Gone, but not Forgotten

Last night we said goodbye to our cat Storm, and it was one of the hardest events of my adult life. Since most who will read this never got to meet him, let me introduce you to his memory.

When my wife and I first got married, she was working part-time and I was working full-time. She lobbied me hard to get a cat to keep her company while I was off at work. I was originally very resistant to the idea. I had grown up with dogs, and I always thought of cats as kind of aloof, cranky little creatures that didn't really like the people they shared the homes of.

She and Storm kind of picked each other out. She went to visit him a couple of times at the animal shelter that had him, and he would hang onto the screen and look pensively after her as she left. When she came back, all she had to do was call his name and he came running, which is why we never changed his name when we got him.

At first, he and I didn't really know what to make of each other, and he even hissed at me a few times in those first few months. Then I took a week of stay-cation and at some point, he seemed to decide that if we were going to live together, we should probably be friends. He climbed into my lap, snuggled up against me and went to sleep. From that point forward, he was my cat, too.

And what a beautiful cat he was. Covered in thick, soft, fine gray fur, he was gorgeous to look at and luxurious to pet. (And he loved being petted. You could reach down and pet his little head and he'd close his eyes and push his head into your palm.) His big, oversized paws and fluffy, squirrel-like tail that he'd wrap around you when you petted him completed the effect. When he'd nap, he'd cross his front feet over each other and wrap that big fluffy tail around himself. He was very cute when he was sleeping.

I've seen and heard things that indicate that cats don't bond with people in the same way other animals do, but even if that's the case, Storm was clearly the exception. He wanted nothing so much as to be by one of us. You could reach down to pick him up and before you even had his feet off the floor, he'd be purring. When we had to do things to him that he didn't like (such as forcing pills down his throat toward the end of his life) he never held it against us. I felt like he really trusted us and even if he didn't like something, he knew we were doing what we felt was best for him. Two minutes after you'd had to fight with him to get some medicine down his throat, he was squeaking at us for attention.

That was one of the other things that was especially cute about the little guy, by the way - instead of the usual yowly cat meow, he had a cute little high-pitched squeak of a voice, which combined with his appearance for a rather comical effect. Here's this big, powerful-looking, fluffy cat, and when he'd look at you and meow, it was this cute little "mew!" noise.

And we heard that voice a lot. He was an especially vocal kitty; he would squeak at us for attention, he'd purr whenever he got it, and he'd communicate in other ways. He had a cute little "squick" noise he'd made occasionally when he was content and you'd pet him, and if you did something that made him really happy, he'd trill in addition to purring. That voice also would come into play on weekend mornings a lot of the time. I'm usually up before my wife is, and she had a morning ritual of "coffee and snuggles" with him where she'd sit with him on her lap and coffee in her hand and go over email, newsfeed, and social media in the morning before getting to work on her craft business. He liked this time as much as she did, and sometimes on a Saturday when she felt like sleeping in and I was up, he'd get impatient and squeak indignantly at me to go get her up, even going to the extent of walking down the hallway where our bedroom door is and squeaking loudly there before coming back and pestering me more. He couldn't speak, but the message was clear: "GO GET NICKI!" When she did finally get up, he was underfoot the entire time she made coffee, and as soon as she settled into her chair, he'd hop into her lap with a happy little squeak and settle down to start purring.

He did plenty of cute things to get my attention, too. Because of the layout of our apartment, my computer desk is right by the end of the sofa, so he'd hop up on the arm of the sofa and gently tap me on the shoulder with one of his soft, oversized paws as if to say "Excuse me, human. I would like some snuggles, please." All I had to do was swivel my chair a little to face him and he'd either do a cute little nose bump with me like the picture below or climb right into my lap.

His life was one of following us around, giving and receiving affection. As I type this, there's some little part of me that expects to be able to reach down and find his soft, furry little head down there, scratch behind his velvety ears and maybe pick him up for some lap time. He was always underfoot and in the way because he wanted to be right there with us. I used to joke that we should have named him Gandalf, because he was gray and he wouldn't let me pass.

They say that cats don't usually like getting picked up, but he sure did. My wife or I could reach down, scoop the little guy up and put his front paws on our shoulder and his back half in our arms and walk around with him purring and snuggling his little head against us. We referred to him as a "living stuffed animal" sometimes. If we left for any significant amount of time, he was very needy and demanding of affection when we got back, but even when I went off to work every day, he was there to greet me when I came home. Usually, I'd see his little face peek out from the top of the stairs when I came in the front door, but occasionally, he'd actually come down the steps and greet us before we even got all the way in. We'd often see his little head in the upstairs window when we pulled up in the car.

All of this affection earned him a bunch of nicknames. His actual name was Storm, but we usually referred to him as "kitty," "kitteh," "fuzzy buddy," "mister snuggles," or "snugglefuzz." We also used to call him The Beast that Squeaks; the Squeakybeast. You could call to him and he'd usually come trotting up with an expectant look on his face as if to say "snuggles?"

He was a spectacularly, almost absurdly well-behaved cat. He didn't claw the furniture. He'd get down from places he wasn't supposed to be if you told him to. If he was on your lap and you needed to get up, you usually just had to tap him on the butt gently and he'd hop down (occasionally with a "but why?" look from the floor). If he was snuggling in bed with us and it was time to go to sleep, you could pat his butt the same way and he'd hop down and trot off to the kitchen for a late night snack. (Although sometimes with some reluctance.) Though in fairness, that required some conditioning. When we first got him, when we'd put him outside the door to sleep, he'd cry outside the bedroom door, reach up and rattle the doorknob, and even reach under with his little feet. We had to chuck rolled-up socks at the door to train him to knock it off. A few times, he even hid under the bed and then ambushed at at 3am by jumping onto us for snuggles in the night, which scared us about half to death. Once we had him acclimated to the routine, though, he went along with it well and happily greeted us in the morning. Even when he puked like cats are wont to do, he'd find an empty section of floor and yak there rather than on or in something. The worst thing he consistently did was to nap on piles of my wife's crafting fabric he wasn't supposed to be on and root in a small trash can full of fabric scraps she kept by one of the sewing machines. He even, heart-wrenchingly, had the courtesy to reach the end of his life on a Saturday, which is giving us some time to process the loss of him before we have to go back to our regular lives.

In his younger days, he was a playful, goofy little guy. Every once in a while, some wacky kitty impulse would trigger in his brain, and he'd run around the apartment at top speed, then come to a screeching halt by one of us with a playful little squeak and when we'd look down at him, he'd do the "what? you saw nothing." thing that cats do and start cleaning one of his shoulders. He'd play this game with us where he'd go around a corner and we'd take turns peeking at the other until he decided to run around the corner and go up on his hind legs with his front paws outstretched to startle us. We'd walk past him, and he'd bat at our legs with his paws and then affectionately head butt us when whe reached down to pet him. He'd circle around directly behind my desk chair and squeak at me for attention, and he'd pounce on and savagely attack his favorite toy, a stuffed frog.

Because of all of this personality, my wife and I developed a very specific funny voice that was his, and we'd fill in dialog for him, complete with meme-esque verbiage. Phrases like "what you does?" when he would come to investigate what we were doing became a mainstay in our household, and Storm was the source of a great many inside jokes for us.

For most of his life, he was extremely shy around strangers. His reaction to any living thing that wasn't us seemed to be "Aaaaah! It might eat me!" and he'd run away and hide from visitors, re-emerging when they'd left. In his old age, he got bolder and actually had to be moved to another room because in his curiosity he was getting underfoot when an HVAC guy came to install a new thermostat in our apartment.

The end of his life came from congestive heart failure. We got the diagnosis about 5 weeks back, when my wife took him in to the vet, concerned at his manic back-licking and weight loss. We spent a fortune on cat food trying to get him to gain some of that weight back, setting out multiple kinds of wet food to see what he'd eat. For a while, he'd be really enthusiastic about duck, and then he'd change his mind and want chicken or tuna instead. He lost about a third of his body weight, but even as a stringy old sick cat, he still wanted lots of love and affection. We both got a good amount of snuggles out of him Friday night, but it was obvious as soon as we got up on Saturday morning that something was very wrong. We took him into the vet, who suggested upping the dosages on his meds to try to counteract his symptoms, but after watching him stare at the wall, breathing heavily for most of the day, it became apparent he wasn't going to get any better. We tearfully made an appointment to say goodbye to him. He didn't even need the second shot. The sweet little guy passed away gently from the anesthetic.

The worst thing about his memory, I think, is what we in my family call the "Nestlie Effect." My parents had a Border Collie/Belgian Galgoenel mix named Nestlie that was also a singularly awesome pet, and it's hard not to compare other dogs they've had to him. Storm will be like that for us. He was such an awesome kitty and has set the bar so high that it will be hard to not compare other animals we have to his memory.

I have my share of regrets in life, but mercifully, none of them revolve around Storm. We gave him a good life, we took good care of him, and our lives were richly blessed for his presence in them. I will grieve the little fuzzball for a long while, I suspect, but that grief comes from a deep and lasting gratitude that we got twelve years of love, joy, and amusement from him. Rest in peace, Storm.